Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mommy Dearest

“Hey, Mom… have you seen my show boots?”
“They’re probably where you left them last time, and the time before that, and the time before that… in the trunk of your car. duh.”
“Oh, right. My bad.”

-Two minutes later-

“Thanks! Found them!”

Mothers are quite possibly the best addition to any horseshow I have ever been to.
“Mooooom I can’t find my gloves, why does this happen before every event?!”
“It’s called common sense, Mimi- check your show make-up kit.”
“Again, thanks… got em’.”

Mothers keep us grounded.


“So, Mom… how about my sp---
“Your spurs are ALSO in your make-up kit.”

Mothers know it all.

2 comments:

  1. Mimi,
    What I noticed that made this easy to read was the different font types. There are a lot of voices in this piece: yours, your mother's and then your thoughts. Also the spacing contributed to the piece as a whole because it gave it that poetic feeling that is supposed to be in the lyric essays. Good topic. I would have liked to see more though. The way it is, serves as a good foundation for some touching moment or something. Can't wait to read your full essay this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best here are the text changes which indicate different voices. The only "voice" that I felt was least accomplished is the bold font voice. What strikes me as less effective about that voice is, the statements are didactic summary statements. What I like so much about the other voices is that they are vivid - they "show" don't "tell".

    ReplyDelete