Juicy, deep red, sweet tomatoes. Fragrant bundles of wildflowers. Heaping loads of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. The scent of sap drizzled pine cones from the surrounding trees. Nothing quite beats the Tahoe City Farmers Market in mid-July. Come June, I’m rearin’ to make my way up to Northern California, where I can sit and relax under the pine trees with a plate of freshly picked steamed baby potatoes- a delicious summer treat. For two solid months out of the year, Lake Tahoe is my home. For four weeks out of the eight, I devour fresh pickings from local farmers.
“Is it ready yet Nanna?” I ask. I can hardly stand it. The delicious scent of sweet basil and Italian brown mushrooms fill my nostrils. The spaghetti is done. The table is set. My stomach is growling. I could eat Nanna’s spaghetti and meatballs every single night for the rest of my life if it was accepted.
“Is it ready yet Nanna?” I ask. I can hardly stand it. The delicious scent of sweet basil and Italian brown mushrooms fill my nostrils. The spaghetti is done. The table is set. My stomach is growling. I could eat Nanna’s spaghetti and meatballs every single night for the rest of my life if it was accepted.

Today is the day I will reclaim my title as ebelskiver champion. I will down one little pancake ball after another. If Ben has eighteen, I have nineteen. Danish pillows of heaven, I call em’. Grilled fresh from Mother Maita. Syrup, butter, and ebelskiver. Nothing like a morning with the Maitas.
Mimi... you have a real flair for food writing! Also, you have a flair for strong openings in your writing. I'm excited to see you develop plot and endings that do justice to the gorgeous openings you've been able to dream up. For some writers, we benefit from a little bit of planning... beyond the memory, what is the story you'd like to tell? What is the emotional context you'd like to convey?
ReplyDeleteGive these paragraphs subtitles right within the text. Think of re-ordering. Think of expanding.
Great start. :-)
Mimi, like last week you have done a great job at writing about food. The strongest part of this blog was the beginning. I think that the short sentences/words is a very effective way to open the reader up to where you are. Perhaps try to incorporate some overall meaning to this expereince. Nice work.
ReplyDelete