Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Reading Reflections

One of my favorite essays from this course is also from the very beginning. - William Bakers section on “My Children Explain the Big Issues”. All of those short pieces were interesting to me, but the one on Feminism was my favorite. After reading his stories, and then having to write a prompt choosing one of them- it really helps when I have a title, or means to the story to write the actual story. It makes it that much more interesting when there is a purpose to reflecting, rather than just sitting down and having to reflect? I hope I explained that okay, but all I know is that his Feminism story will stay in my memory bank, and further my writing.

Throughout the whole course, another one of my favorite pieces of material is still “The American Man at Age Ten”, By Susan Orlean. I know Patel said not to write about one we have already written about, but I felt as though I could elaborate on this one much more.

It was one of our first reading assignments, and remember it so well, and believe I really got the most out of it. It was so interesting to see the life of someone else, at an age you once were as well- almost every child has had a friend like Orleans, and shared many of the same experiences. Such an excellent story. I forget which specific post it was we did, but I remember thinking back to Orleans story, and trying to recreate her use of storytelling. This is another piece that I am positive will continue to further my writing.

2 comments:

  1. Mimi,
    Good choices. I agree that both of these are some of my favorites. I already wrote on Orleans, but I never did on "The Big Issuses." I definitely agree that that feminism one was great. It was cute, funny and yet thought provoking. Something about the simplicity coupled with the title was genius. Think about that piece without the title or a different one. Very different punch to it. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll want to follow the prompts more strictly, please.

    Glad you enjoyed those pieces... Orlean is a favorite of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete