Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Grazing

I am staring out onto the open pastures on the farm from this second story room. I can see Cash, a chestnut stallion, running up and down the fence line while whinnying at the mares beyond the next pasture. Cash has only one thing on his mind this spring, and tries effortlessly to puff himself up so he looks handsome for all the ladies in season. The four mares in the separated pasture are enjoying the beautiful blue sky day, feeding on the freshly irrigated grass below. They look up every once in a while and kick at the fence with excitement as Cash struts his stuff, but often return to their grazing and sun bathing.

As I soak in this beautiful scenery from the window, I cannot help but continue to think about what dinner will be like tonight with Ben and his fiancé, Ali. Ben is one of my three older brothers, and has brought Ali for my family to meet for the first time.

BANG!

Cash kicks at the separating wall, and whinnies in delight of all the attention from the neighboring mares.

What is Ali going to be like?
Will she also be covered in tattoos like Benny Boy?
Will she be friendly?
funny?
loud?
quiet?

NEEeeigh! The mares are going especially wild, also snorting in delight.

How awkward first family meetings can be.
Do you hug?
Or do you shake hands…

I think its time to bring in the ladies for the day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi,
    My name is Lupita and I’m fortunate enough to be in your group this unit. You have very nice pictures on your blog. I read you blog post and I thought that it was very well written. I didn’t see any grammatical errors. Your scene was very vivid and as the reader I was able to picture the horses and their actions. I like how you invited the reader into your thoughts, by telling us your thoughts as you looked upon the field.
    Can’t wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    I really liked how you interrupted the flow of your day with thoughts and vice versa. I don't know if you intended it but it was interesting that the horses were involved in some kind of match-making for themselves when you were about to meet your brother's fiance. The spacing added as well. No serious flaws anywhere. Nice job! Looking forward to more.
    -Christine Cooke

    -Christine Cooke

    ReplyDelete