Thursday, March 26, 2009

Brace Face


I really enjoying writing about past experiences, and thought it would be fun to bring something back from childhood. So, a middle school story was in order.


Braces. Every teenager’s worst nightmare, and a day I remember so well. I was pulled out of school at the end of second period band practice (I begged to go, yes- I was a band geek for about five years). When my mom picked me up outside the school office, she presented me with a Paul Frank t-shirt with Julius the monkey on it smiling with a mouth full of metal, which I put on immediately. Paul Frank was probably my favorite brand of clothing at the time.

I sat down in an extremely uncomfortable green leather chair- a chair I would not get out of for almost an hour and a half. I had color options for the stretchy bands, and opted for pink and blue, something I do not recommend for the first time. I would suggest grey or clear, since the hot pink and bright blue may come as shock upon first glance.

Since my mouth felt like somebody had tied fifty pounds onto each tooth, we went to Chompie’s where I enjoyed a delicious slurpable bowl of matzo ball soup. I went to bed that night with a mouth full of wax covered teeth, since my mouth was so sensitive to the metal at first. The next day at school, when I placed my lips to my trumpet mouthpiece, I could barely make a single toot. It took some getting use to learning how to play with metal bars against brass, since it basically felt like a strangers lips were attached to my face. I essentially had to learn how to play all over again. A few weeks passed, I had adapted to my new set of bling, and all was well in the world of band once again.

2 comments:

  1. Mimi-
    Just wondering, what essay does this mimic? Anyway, everyone can relate to braces (almost everyone). I liked some of the word choices in here like "bling." It also adds a nice little touch to use specific brand names like Chompie's and Paul Frank t-shirt.

    I might suggest that you make the drama after getting braces on a little more exaggerated.

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I also wonder what your prompt was for this piece? And agree that calling your braces "bling" is very cute. :-)

    Best here is your development up to and out of the experience of getting braces. I love that you advise your reader to avoid blue and pink bands. I think, though, you don't develop that plot moment thoroughly enough, and you don't show us enough of the interior situation - what was at stake for you as a middle school kid who was getting braces?

    ReplyDelete