My Mom was a young, budding teenager when she started the Sonny and Cher Fan Club way back in 1965. It is hard for me to imagine my own Mom, her hippie-self, blasting “I Got You Babe” while oo-ing and aw-ing over Sonny Bono, and having weekly lunches with Cher. But yes, I soon understood around the age of nine what it meant to be the President and founder of the Sonny and Cher Fan Club way back when…
… way back when fur vests on dudes were considered a.o.k… to a fourteen year old girl, I am sure the fur vest and mascara lined lashes were the hippest things in the whole wide American world. Nothing against Cher, because I was born and raised to think nothing but good thoughts about the later “Turn Back Time” diva, but it is still funny for me to sit down and really think about my mom sitting in her yellow formica kitchen, having lunch with Sonny and Cher.
When I look at photos of the three of them, there is one thing that sticks out amidst the fur and mascara- my Mothers metal filled mouth, and plastic cat-eyed glasses.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mimi,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I couldn't help but smile while reading your description of your young mom rockin out to Sonny and Cher. You provided a nice description of your mom with her cat-eyed glasses and metal filled mouth. I can picture your mom as a vivacious free-spirit probably having some of the best times of her life back then.
I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts!
-Arthi
Hey Mimi,
ReplyDeleteI think all of us get a little weirded out when we try to imagine what our parents were like when they were our age. However i thought you did a great job of presenting your Mom in that light and showing the rock out style she has. The description of the eye liner was great imagery and definitely gave her a rocker feel.
Great Job,
Ali Z.