I had just moved to Arizona from the Bay Area around the age of six, and was beginning many new things in this desert location I was to call home. It was towards the end of the month of July, as my parents left one day to run a few errands, they left my brother Ben and I in our newly built home in North Scottsdale. Ben, who is five years older than I, was bored of playing video games, and I of drawing in my endless supply of coloring books. A near expert bike mechanic by the age of ten, Ben confronted me why I had not yet learned how to ride a bike, and quickly followed him to the front yard where he sat me up top on his rocket red mountain bike. I was so excited, but nervous, and above all- extremely hot!
It began with him walking alongside me, and finally letting go every ten seconds or so for about two seconds. I bit the big one many a times, but I finally felt as though I was getting the hang of it. Keeping in mind, Ben and I never had the best relationship as siblings. My two other older brothers were always picking on him, and he felt as though that was leeway for him to double pick on his little sister. So, this one on one bike riding time was a once in a year moment where brother and sister complied with one another- something I am sure my parents now wished they could have witnessed. A brother teaching a sister how to ride a bike without hitting or kicking, spitting or tackling, was a moment no parent should be absent for. It was near glorious.
Finally grasping the ropes of the pedals and which hand was brake, when to speed up, and when to slow down, I became that much more adventurous and no longer needed big brothers help. After an hour of falling, braking, pedaling, and even a few tears, Ben gave me my final push off from behind. I tackled the bike riding adventure for the day, and as soon as mother and father came home, it turned into, “Mom look! Dad watch this!”… Something I am sure they were thrilled about hearing for half an hour. During my thirty minutes of show and tell, Ben kept trying to step in and grab the back of the seat to steady me, but I had made it clear at the end of that sunny 108 degree summer day, “Back off, I got it Benny!” I was free.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Mimi. Welcome to the class! I enjoyed this story about your first attempt at bikeriding. I especially appreciated your description of how strange it was to have your brother helping you instead of torturing you (ah! little boys); that's a very funny and well-written section. I also love the ending where you declare freedom from your family. This is a lovely first piece! Thanks for sharing it with us. :-)
ReplyDeleteGood blog, had lots of personality and very fluid, I'm not lost or left asking any questions. I also enjoyed the quote you used in the end, gave it just a little something more. The only thing that I could think of that would help me read it a little more easier would be that one of your sentences ran just a little long, "It was toward...North Scottsdale." I would just separate that into two sentences. Great story though, keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteGood story! I could picture exactly what was happening in your story by all the detail you used to describe the scene. I also who had a big brother who usually picked on me, so I can see why you were so surprised when he offered to teach you how to ride a bike. The description of the weather was perfect. I have lived in Arizona my whole life and it sounds like the typical summer day in Arizona to me.
ReplyDeleteVery cute story. I liked how you wrote about a form of feminism from when you were a youngen ha ha. The personality shined throughout the entire piece. I really have no criticisms except to check over some minor grammatical errors. But, I loved it! I can't imagine being the youngest child of three older brothers, yikes! Keep up the good stories. Can't wait for another :)
ReplyDeleteIts funny to hear someone else describe exactly how me and my younger sister were. Although it was her picking on me!
ReplyDelete